The 4-week self-study course gives teachers the skills and techniques to better manage their own stress and anxiety and improve resilience, thus helping improve their overall mental health and wellbeing.
What is Mindfulness?
Mindfulness is the practice of training the mind to enhance awareness of our thoughts, feelings, and sensations. It can help by increasing attention span, concentration, and emotional resilience throughout periods of uncertainty when it’s common for stress and anxiety to build up. The regular practice of mindfulness helps to strengthen awareness of our thoughts and feelings and enhance our ability to cope during challenging times.
Why it works
There can be many causes of stress for those who work in education – a challenging student, anxiety and depression, personal worries, and more. That’s why it's important for teachers to support their own mental health and wellbeing in order to support their students. This course will give teachers the basics of mindfulness in an online, easy-to-access, and affordable way.
How the course is structured
There are five modules: an introductory module that sets out the structure of the course and a brief background to mindfulness, followed by four modules that focus on different mindfulness meditations and principles.
The structure is:
- An introduction to mindfulness (pre-reading)
- Coming off autopilot (week 1)
- Coming back to the body (week 2)
- Moving away from striving (week 3)
- Relating to thoughts differently (week 4)
Each module consists of:
- detailed course notes [PDF files] which explain the weekly mindfulness practices and the theory behind them
- videos of instructor Ashley Lodge guiding you through the weekly practices and principles
- audio files to guide you through the meditations
- copies of the slide decks used in the videos for your reference
- reflection logs to help you record and reflect on your mindfulness journey.
ISBN 9781292375502 Primary
ISBN 9781292375519 Secondary